Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sea Cow

I have a plan to make little mechanical version of extinct animals. I was thinking about several fictive end of the world scenarios that include clockwork animals: the Central Park Zoo clock in Stephen King's The Stand, The giraffes in the children's room and the mechanical mice in Ray Bradburry's There Will Come Soft Rains, the clockwork birds in Fiddler's Green in Land of the Dead etc. I made a list of all the animals that have gone extinct (or are known to have gone extinct) in North America since 1500 and went through it seeing which ones I could find good information about. The first one was Steller's Sea Cow. It was a manatee-like creature that lived in the Bearing Sea and was hunted to extinction about 30 years after its discovery. So, I made this cardboard mock-up for an automata version. I think I'd like to carve the real one from wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment