Saturday, June 12, 2010

Falcon


In keeping with my idea to take 1 day off to do a weird thing I've been meaning to do but never really got around to every month, I decided to pick falconry. I got to meet a couple of hawks and an eagle, and call my first bird to the glove. It's scarier than it seemed on paper to have a bird of prey swoop at your arm expecting meat, but it's awesome that it actually works out. I also love that this sport is about 4,000 years old and all the trappings have this timeless no-nonsense quality. For instance, working with a large bird and your arm is starting to get tired? Prop your arm up with a stick. Problem solved! I also like that this isn't about having a raptor as a pet, it's a mutually beneficial and mutually respectful relationship that only works if the birds are healthy and well maintained.

No comments:

Post a Comment